IFA Public Policy Statements
General Policy Statements:
- IFA supports active forest stewardship.
- IFA supports policies and programs beneficial to private forest owners.
- IFA supports research and education related to forestry.
- IFA supports policies that improve the profitability of the wood products industry in Illinois.
- IFA supports partnerships with organizations and agencies that share our policy positions, and it supports respectful dialogue with those that do not.
- IFA supports increased funding for forestry incentives offered by USDA programs such as EQIP, CSP, and CRP.
- IFA supports the various partnerships between federal agencies and the Illinois DNR, which directly or indirectly support forestry in Illinois.
- IFA supports USFWS programs that assist private landowners in improving native wildlife habitat.
- IFA supports funding for the early detection and control of invasive species.
- IFA supports active forest management of national forests, including controlling invasive species, facilitating recreation, and responsibly managing timber resources.
- IFA supports retaining the Illinois Forestry Development Act (525ILCS 15) ("Act") as core legislation protecting and improving forest resources in the State of IL.
- IFA supports the original intent of the Act, related legislation, and administrative, which establish incentives for private forest owners to develop and implement a DNR-approved Forest Management Plan (FMP).
- IFA supports amending the Act and/or administrative rules to reduce administrative time and costs.
- IFA supports the convening of a periodic state-wide stakeholder meeting to review and discuss required content of Forest Management Plans and related program requirements.
- IFA supports the section of the Property Tax Code (35 ILCS 200/10-150) that provides a lower property tax rate on land managed under a DNR-approved FMP.
- IFA supports the Illinois Recreational Access Program, which supports wildlife habitat and hunting opportunities.
- IFA supports the development of other programs that would provide technical and/or financial assistance to forest owners who wish to improve wildlife habitat on their land.
- IFA supports IDNR's proactive management of deer populations, including additional deer hunting opportunities.
- IFA supports requiring IDNR to issue reminder letters to landowners approximately 12 months prior to expiration of FMPs.
- IFA supports the Purple Paint Law, which IFA introduced to Illinois legislators in 2018.